Thursday, March 12, 2009

Body Piercings





Earlier, my friend Elaine and I talked about our recent ear piercings that's why I've decided to write about it.I had it on my left ear lobe while Elaine had it on her Helix (the outer in-curve on top of the outer ear). Hers swelled up due to putting it on and off repeatedly and Mine bled intermittently upon the accidental application of a mild force. Both our piercing are now healed meaning there are no more blood and serous drainage but there is still pain upon removing it and it could still bleed due to light trauma. The normal healing time for a piercing on the earlobes is about 6-8 weeks. On the other hand, a piercing on the Helix (cartilaginous) takes a longer time to heal, about 6-12 weeks. (Wikipedia) Our mistake was we removed the jewelry again and again. This should be avoided to facilitate primary and full healing. Infections are also common complications of body piercing if devoid of proper care since the integrity of the skin is destroyed.

Having some extra piercings (for girls, who normally have these ear piercings already) is a liberating experience. When I was younger, I was taught that people who have extra piercings, in other parts of the body aside from the ear, were criminals and weirdos.I was also told that once a person with these extra piercings would apply for a job he/she would mostly be rejected or discriminated etc. I believed these things before but looking back, I realized that these were not all true and silly. I'm not a criminal nor am I a weirdo; I'm a rational being who just wants another piercing to express myself. Do you know that even one of the Head Nurses where I affiliated had 3 piercings per ear and yet she's the Head Nurse.

TOO MUCH is not good. I’m not against body piercing since it is a form of cultural and self expression but looking like a cow (piercing on the nasal septum) or an android is not cool nor is it attractive. Here are some of the weird, semi-super weird and outrageously weird sites of body piercing: Nasal Septum, Frenulum, Nipples, Clitoris, Labia Majora and Minora, scrotum etc. These are surely uncomfortable for a normal human being not to mention, very painful! There are some psychological issues involved here. A subtle whisk of ATTITUDE is alright by having SOME PIERCING but that of an extremely modifying body piercing for me is both MASOCHISTIC and FREAKY.

No comments:

Post a Comment